Why is ridesharing management software so essential to the resurgence of the carpooling movement?
After a brief period in vogue during the energy crises of the 1970s, carpooling receded to the background in the 1980s and 1990s. But more recently, ridesharing is dramatically resurging. Heightened awareness of the negative environmental impacts of single-occupancy vehicle commuting is one of the major reasons for its comeback, but there’s another: smart technology like ridesharing management software.
Today commuters experience unprecedented levels of Internet connectivity, making it easier than ever before for carpoolers to connect with one another, form groups, share costs, and enjoy the many benefits of ridesharing. Beyond reducing pollution, ridesharing also helps commuters save money on parking, fuel, and vehicle maintenance costs while reducing stress and improving workplace productivity.
On an organizational level, modern transportation demand management software is essential to the sustained success of carpooling and ridesharing initiatives. Such software provides ridematching tools to help commuters with similar schedules travelling from similar areas find one another, and can also manage carpool rewards programs to make sharing rides an even more desirable option.
Convenience is a crucial driver of behavior change, as commuters are far more likely to embrace ridesharing if it is as accessible as hopping in the car in the morning and driving away. Modern technology makes this possible.
Features to look for in ridesharing management software
Organizations that are looking to create a long-term culture change in their commuter bases should look for ridesharing management software tools that offers these user-friendly features:
- Intelligent rideshare matching. Give users the ability to find rideshare matches along their commuting routes in seconds.
- Network creation. Enable different organizational departments or locations to form their own individually administered rideshare networks.
- Support for incentive programs. Encourage higher levels of participation through rewards programs, mode-based challenges, and other gamification initiatives that get people excited about taking part.
- Built-in messaging. Help users make quick, efficient connections with other rideshare participants in their network(s).
- Reporting tools. Track program progress, generate charts and maps, and draw on categorized data to generate key strategic insights that support long-term success.
The RideAmigos transportation demand management platform offers these and many other tools for creating and administering ridesharing programs. RideAmigos has already helped hundreds of private and public sector organizations build efficient and successful ridesharing communities, and we’d like to help you too. To learn more, click here to get started with further information, a consultation, or a free analysis of your existing rideshare initiatives.