What is a Transportation Management Association (TMA) /
Transportation Management Organization (TMO)?
A transportation management association (TMA), sometimes known as a transportation management organization (TMO), is an administrative body designed to manage the transportation needs of a particular venue, district, or community. In most cases, TMAs are non-profit organizations, and they are usually controlled by members.
Most TMAs also use partnership models that combine private investment with public resources, thus casting a wider net of stakeholders.
TMAs operate on various scales, with larger-scale organizations holding jurisdiction over entire cities or regions, and smaller-scale associations governing the transportation needs of medical facilities, shopping centers, business districts, or industrial zones, among others. They play an important part in shaping and implementing transportation demand management (TDM) programs with specific objectives that typically include:
- Single occupancy vehicle (SOV) commuter trip reductions
- More efficient allocation of parking resources
- Reducing peak-period traffic levels
- Shifting traffic to off-peak periods
- Promoting alternatives to single-occupancy vehicles
- Improving transportation accessibility and system performance
Member-controlled transportation management organizations are more responsive than most government-run TDM initiatives, since they are not encumbered by administrative red tape and can implement new policies with greater speed and flexibility. They also play a key role in supporting smart growth initiatives and land-use patterns that conform to the mixed-use models being favored by a large number of forward-looking municipalities.
The RideAmigos commuter management platform is an ideal tool for TMA’s
The RideAmigos platform is a valuable ally to TMAs of all sizes, thanks to its proven ability to make smarter modes of transportation more accessible to a broader base of users. Transportation management organizations around the world are now using the groundbreaking RideAmigos TDM software package to:
- Access network and reporting tools that provide an excellent basis for policy creation and implementation
- Bring a broader range of sustainable transportation options to a larger number of community members
- Generate meaningful statistical insights into network-specific transportation patterns
- Manage parking demand
- Reduce vehicular traffic during peak periods
- Create and distribute commuter surveys that help program managers better understand the needs and desires of commuters and travelers
RideAmigos is specifically designed to address the TDM needs of organizations operating in both the public and private sectors, and it has become an indispensable tool for businesses, government agencies, and TMAs across the US.
Do you help run a TMA or TMO that could use a more efficient system for managing your programs and shifting commuter behavior? Get started with RideAmigos today to learn how we can help maximize your impact.