Solve parking and congestion woes by introducing an expanded range of university commuter services.
University and college campuses face a unique set of transportation demand management challenges. Parking is limited, forcing schools to make difficult choices when determining how to distribute permits. Students, staff and faculty tend to keep irregular hours, given the prevalence of evening and weekend classes. Even schools that provide or subsidize transit passes to local public transportation networks still struggle to manage their parking needs and keep the amount of vehicular traffic on campus to a minimum.
One emerging strategy that’s making waves at campuses across the country and around the world is to expand the available range of university commuter services. Mobile connectivity has created new possibilities that didn’t exist before the smartphone revolution. Schools that embrace these options open up a dynamic range of smart, sustainable transportation choices, with ridesharing leading the charge.
Campus ridesharing programs usually take one of two forms:
- Carpooling communities: Students, staff and faculty can join carpools with regular schedules, or access available carpools on an as-needed basis to travel to or from campus. Carpools can also extend to weekend rides home, getaways during school breaks, and more.
- Vanpool services: Arrange vanpool shuttles from nearby city landmarks or major public transit stations and give campus members a convenient and affordable alternative to driving.
Both are cost-effective, high-impact options with strong appeal for students with limited transportation budgets.
Campus communities enjoy major benefits by adding university ridesharing programs to their list of transportation options.
These university ridesharing options deliver significant, continuous benefits to campuses, including:
- Reduced demand for parking, leading to cost savings
- Less on-campus vehicular traffic, improving safety for pedestrians and cyclists
- A clear alignment with environmentally responsible values
- Decreased emissions and pollution
They’re also a great social tool for helping students, staff and faculty interact with a broader range of community members. By helping you create and manage new university commuter services, RideAmigos can help you build a stronger and more interconnected campus.
Smart ridesharing and incentive programs can be a great way to address parking problems. Check out our free, downloadable PDF on curbing campus parking demand.
The RideAmigos software platform delivers powerful management and administration tools, serving as the central hub of your university ridesharing initiative. We’ve already helped a long and growing list of schools around the world better manage their transportation needs, and we’d love to add your campus to our list of success stories. Get started today with a free analysis of your existing commuter programs, helpful commuter management tools, or a detailed one-on-one consultation.