As competition to recruit and retain top talent grows tougher, a growing number of companies and organizations are offering commuter programs as part of their benefits portfolio. Two common phrases you’re likely to encounter include “commuter engagement” and “commuter management.” Many people are under the impression that these two terms are interchangeable, but there are actually important differences between these cornerstone concepts.
What is commuter engagement?
Commuter engagement focuses on programs that make people feel good about adopting alternative modes. In addition to promoting short-term commuter events like Bike-to-Work Month or Rideshare Month, effective engagement strategies also aim to encourage long-term behavior change. When handled well, commuter engagement results in more people choosing to ditch the solo drive in favor of smart alternatives more often.
Essential commuter engagement strategies and concepts include things like:
- Points programs that allow commuters to collect points they can later redeem for valuable rewards
- Games, friendly competitions, challenges, and other incentive programs
- Giving commuters financial incentives for leaving their cars at home, like those provided by parking cash-out programs
- Targeted marketing campaigns that promote commuter programs to specific groups within your organization
What about commuter management?
Commuter management, on the other hand, simply seeks to provide commuters with the information and resources they need to make better use of smart mobility options. It covers things like:
- Survey distribution and data analysis features to inform program planning
- Smartphone-powered trip planners for public transportation and ridesharing networks
- Rideshare matching systems
- Commute logging tools to track progress in challenges and incentive programs
- Network creation and reporting capabilities
RideAmigos empowers program leaders to successfully manage both commuter engagement and commuter management. Our unique, industry-leading platform includes the tools and programs that make it easy to drive higher levels of commuter engagement. Administrators also enjoy advanced commuter management features and that make managing and analyzing large and complex programs easy, efficient, and fun. To learn more about our solutions, get started with RideAmigos today!